Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Life in the Bathroom


In the attempt to become a more organized Mom I have been reading a book called Absolutely Organized: A Mom's Guide to a No-Stress Schedule and Clutter-Free Life by Debbie Lillard. Okay, so I have not mastered this book or even finished reading it yet! But none the less I am making progress. This all to say that I have been attempting to keep a schedule with all of my house work that I love so much :) Well, today was Tuesday, my day to clean the bathrooms and I started thinking about my relationship with this little room and what it has meant in my journey thus far as a Mom.


I believe that life as a Mom begins and will more than likely end in the bathroom. Let me explain a bit. Where a majority of women learn that they are pregnant revolves around the bathroom. You are either peeing on a stick or puking in the toilet- and so motherhood and your relationship with this little room begins. Further along in your pregnancy you frequent the bathroom more often than not and curse your doctor for all of the water you are required to drink. This is where the true 'potty training' begins. Before you even have children you now know where every bathroom in your city is located and which ones have the good toilet paper and seat covers. I am certain that you could go into any Target store and ask the mother of a toddler where the bathroom is and she would know!


The bathroom has not always been my close companion. I have cried over failed potty training attempts and thought that I would never see another room in the house again. Although, it never fails that I keep coming back :) Some days it is my quiet escape from crazy kids, a hiding place or a private office for important phone calls. I certainly have a long road ahead on this journey called motherhood and I am positive that I will spend many more hours in this tiny sanctuary called the bathroom. So for now I will settle for a clean toilet every Tuesday and remember to be thankful for the reason that I came to appreciate this special room in the first place-without the puke this time around!

8 comments:

Mindy said...

Yea! I'm excited to leave the first comment here on the "Heyer Highlights". Holly you are such a witty and engaging writer! I am looking forward to the next time your highlights can brighten my day! :)

Also it was great chatting with you tonight if only for a few minutes. Hope we get together soon!

Unknown said...

Holly, I love your blog. You are such a creative and beautiful writter. Keep this up, it's really fun. Love you and miss you lots. Deb

Ang said...

ahhhh i've been waiting patiently for this unveiling :) beautifully written, i love it!

cyndie said...

yay, i loved reading blogs and now another one to add to the list! :)

Unknown said...

It's so true! Great post Holly! Your little girl looks so upset - guess I would be too :)

Anonymous said...

I love the blog! I am so excited that you are doing this. I am probably a little biased, but I seriously think that you should consider writing a book about your adventures as a Mom. You have an amazing talent, I love your witty writing style. Love you lots! HJ

heather said...

Holly, Great first blog! You are very fun to read. I am feeling your "bathroom angst". Just today I went to Costco with my two youngest kiddos. I had to pee so bad so not wanting to unstrap my kids from the shopping cart....I just wheeled the whole thing right into the bathroom! I peeked at them through the crack in the door to make sure no one took them....wait a sec, who am I kidding?

Mrs. Rogers said...

John and I burst out laughing when we saw that picture!