Monday, January 12, 2009

diving into my 30's







in december i turned 30. somehow i do not feel that i should be 30 yet. where did the time go? who knows?! a few months ago i decided that for my birthday i wanted to go sky diving. my dad had gone for his 50th and i was so jealous. it was something that i had wanted to do for a while and thought that it would be a fun adventure for my 30th birthday. my dad immediately said that he would jump with me when i asked him to go. although, mom and logan were not to excited about us flying through the air.
we set the date to jump on december, 7- the day before my birthday. i was so excited that the day had finally arrived. my dad came to pick me up and we were off. it was a bit foggy outside, but we were confident that it would pass. after all, i was not thinking about the fog as a hindrance, i had been praying that it would not rain. anyway, it turned out that the fog won out and we were not able to make our jump- after waiting it out almost five hours!

for the next couple of weeks scheduling and the holidays prevented us from making our jump, until- january, 4! it was a clear sunday morning and after talking it over with dad we decided to go for it- no appointment- just do it! (is this a nike commercial?) after church we drove out to the byron airport and things started happening quickly. we walked in the hangar, put on purple and green jump suits and harnesses, got a quick instruction from our tandem guys and were on the plane to jump within a 1/2hour. it was crazy. as we were taking off we could see mom, logan and the girls driving to the airport hangar. dad jumped before me and soon became a little purple speck flying through the air. of course i was not focusing on him for long. my turn came to jump and it was awesome! i didn't feel my stomach in my throat or anything like that. i did however feel the freezing cold air on my face. i did scream for a bit, but i couldn't even hear my own voice. it was a cool thing to fly through the air. i think that i probably looked like a frantic bird learning how to fly- i had no idea what i was doing with my arms, they were flopping everywhere. when the parachute opened it was an awesome view. i even got to guide the parachute a bit too. thanks vic and yuri for getting us down safely!

it was an awesome experience that i will never forget. i am glad that my kids got to be there and see that moms can have fun too. thanks dad for helping my jump into my 30's. when are we going again?!!!! (logan and mom- don't worry)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Dad look hot in your jumpsuits!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I could have done it! Looks like fun and a great way to celebrate your milestone :)